Introduction to Poultry Keeping: The Online Course
Chickens and ducks are the gateway farm animal. Gartur started with half a dozen chickens and we haven't been without our own eggs since. Supermarket eggs simply can't compare to those that you have gathered yourself. Their usefulness in egg production is matched both by their comical natures and their fertiliser power!!
Whether you live in the town with a small backgarden or have more space to spread out, chickens are a fantastic addition to your life.
This course covers the basics of poultry keeping, getting you ready to welcome a flock of ladies into your life in no time. The course will cover:
- Ex Battery vs Hybrids vs Pure Bred Chickens
- Should I buy chicks or full grown hens?
- Incubating eggs and keeping chicks
- Other egg laying birds, including ducks, geese and turkeys
- Do I need a rooster?
- Introducing New Birds to Your Flock
- Essential Equipment
- Housing and Basic Set Up
- What to Feed My Birds and When
- Free Ranging vs Keeping in a Run
- Rotational Grazing
- Using poultry as part of a regenerative system
- Common Poultry Ailments and Predators
We also will cover the important aspects of how to dispatch a chicken if it is unwell and how to process chickens for meat.
This course is hosted on Mighty Networks - a comprehensive platform that allows us to host the community, live sessions and online courses all in one space.
Once your purchase is completed, you will receive an email with the details you need to join the network, or add this course to your profile if you are already a member.
The course is broken up unto 7 lessons to work through at your own pace, taught through written and video content. Each lesson takes approximately an hour to work through.
The course is available to work through at any time.